Welcome to day 8! Today you will be learning about Managing People on your Twitter account.
So hopefully you have gained a larger following since day 1, and now want to segment these accounts into lists.
You might want to group the people you follow based on your relationship with them, Some examples might be:
- Services at your institution
- Colleagues and peers
- Professional or funding bodies
- News accounts
- Social, personal or fun accounts
Twitter has a feature which allows you to make lists of people. These lists can be private, so only you and others added into the list can see them, or they might be public so you can share them with others.
To create a list:
- Go to the gear icon at the top right of the page.
- Select ‘Lists’
- On the left of the screen Click on ‘Create list’
- Add a name and a brief description about the list being created. This description will be very helpful if you decide to make the list public, so others can find and subscribe to it.
Adding members to your list:
- You will now be invited to search for people to add to your list. You can also add them later, by clicking on their @name and going to their profile.
- Next to the “Follow” button, you will see another icon called “more user actions”.
- If you click on this, you will see a menu containing the option ‘add or remove from lists’, then simply add an account to your list! #simple
Other 3rd Party Apps
- Tweetdeck: Owned by Twitter, useful to manage more than one account. For example personal and professional use.
- Hootsuite: A similar application to Tweetdeck, but allows you to also import other social media accounts such as Facebook and Instagram. Unlike Tweetdeck, it can be downloaded as an app for mobile devices.
If you are interested in learning more about these tools watch some how to videos on youtube 🙂